Monday, February 20, 2017

Emotional Intelligence Presentation - Reflection

     Today Regan and I presented to the class on Emotional Intelligence. It went well, and I actually felt that I learned even more from the interaction and discussion among the class. We spent a lot of time discussing the TedTalk we showed (link below), "The Power of Vulnerability" by Brene Brown. Brene discussed how through research she discovered the power of vulnerability. She talked about how vulnerability is the source of many negative things such as shame and fear, but how it also is a source of joy and creativity. As a class we bounced around ideas of what we think vulnerability is. Personally, I feel vulnerable when I am exposed to the possibility of failure or of being judge harshly by others. Ironically, actions like presenting to the class as I did today are the types of situations that make me feel vulnerable. However, what Brene really dug into with her research was how vulnerable situations enable us to grow and therefore can result in positive outcomes like joy and creativity. If you never put yourself in vulnerable situations, you may never truly push yourself to your maximum point of creativity and intellect. While yes, allowing yourself to be vulnerable can result in shame or fear, it also may push you to be your most creative and confident self. We must learn to allow ourselves to be vulnerable, and to expose our most raw emotions to other people in order to push ourselves toward the best version of ourselves.




1 comment:

  1. I think the willingness to fail is an essential aspect of the vulnerability that Brown is talking about. You guys did a great job with a hard topic. I'm looking forward to your write up.

    ReplyDelete