Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Dan Ariely: "What makes us feel good about our work?"

     I came across this TedTalk yesterday and found its key points to be very interesting and inspiring. In his TedTalk, "What makes us feel good about our work?," Dan Ariely discusses the many components to motivation. Many people believe that money is the key component of motivation. However what Ariely finds through his research is that there are many different components including meaning, creation, challenge, ownership, identity, pride, etc. Airely goes into many different examples about how these other factors impact motivation. One example was about a student who worked really hard on a powerpoint presentation for a merger within his organization for weeks and was happy during the time he worked on it. However, when the merger was cancelled, he became depressed knowing that no one would ever watch it. This is an example of the strong role meaning plays in motivation and happiness. It is important for people to find connection in the tasks they are working on. Watch the video below for more great insights from Dan Airely's research.


2 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of Ariely. I've set this aside to listen to later. He does a lot of interesting stuff with behavioral econ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I personally feel the best at my internship when I am stressed out and busy because that often means many people are requesting my help on their projects. My colleagues always make a point to tell me that they value my contribution. I think that those two things help motivate me to do more at my job. What about for you? Have you noticed anything that motivates you particularly well at work?

    ReplyDelete