Sunday, February 12, 2017

"Superhuman by Habit"

     "Superhuman by Habit," written by Tynan, explores the power of building habits. The book addresses the idea that we as humans do not have enough willpower to extend everyday, and that instead we must invest our willpower into developing habits. I watched a YouTube video by Brian Johnson, reviewing highlights and major takeaways from the book (link below). His breakdown was outlined in five different discussion points:

  1. What is a habit?
  2. Don't miss a day
  3. Use your mistakes
  4. Focus on progress
  5. Negative habits
     I found numbers three and four to be the most valuable takeaways as it relates to being a successful professional. Under number three, Johnson discusses how it is likely we will make mistakes and fail repeatedly in forming a habit but that it is important to learn from our mistakes. He points out a piece of the book where Tynan claims we should not say "I am bad at this" but rather "I am better than this." It is important to recognize that a mistake doesn't equal failure, but that it is a necessary step in forming a habit. Under number three, Johnson discusses focusing on the process rather than on the results of creating a habit. It is critical in altering one's behavior to tune in on the process itself rather than search for immediate results, because results take time and it may be discouraging to do so. The idea of forming habits is important to being successful. Rather than depend on our limited willpower each day to be successful, we must put our willpower toward positive habits that will last.

3 comments:

  1. Cool - I'm a Tynan fan. I have seen this video before, but I have not read this book. I have read one of his other books. I read his blog regularly. You might like it - I would recommend it to young people. He's very good about thinking about what is important. His blog is: http://tynan.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool video Caroline! I like when he talks about how important consistency is and how you should never miss a day and NEVER miss two days in a row if you want to build a habit. I definitely think there a few negative habits that I can replace with more positive habits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may like this talk based on the book "Mastery" - https://youtu.be/J4v_34RRCeE

    ReplyDelete