Thursday, March 23, 2017

Networking Nerves

     With Boston Day coming up tomorrow, I've been reflecting on my networking skills and the pervious networking events I've attended. My first major networking event was a panel hosted by Professor Bonica in the Fall. I remember being quite nervous seeing as I do not feel that I am the best at small talk. When placed in situations such as networking events I tend to freeze and have trouble approaching people, as well as holding a conversation. I would say I'm a fairly outgoing person, but in these type of situations I get pretty nervous.
     I found a Forbes article called "4 Ways to Ace Your Next Networking Event," by Molly Cain (article link below). She lists four major rules to keep in mind:

1. Network with purpose
2. Research: be informed
3. Wear a "conversation starter," without breaking your wallet
4. Treat your business card like a credit card, give it by connection not sight

     While I found all of the information she gave to be valuable, I thought that the second rule applied most to the type of networking I may be doing tomorrow. She explains how in networking you have a limited amount of time to leave an impression, but you want it to be as good as possible. So preparing and doing your research about the panelists and the guests is essential. Looking into the background of the panelists and thinking of possible questions is good idea. Additionally, I think it may be beneficial to think of possible questions or topics to discuss with other guest members I may want to leave a lasting impression on. I am hoping to be a bit more prepared and less nervous during tomorrow's event. Learn more about Cain's other three rules by following the link below!



2 comments:

  1. There's really no excuse to go into an interview uninformed - unless you aren't told who you are meeting. Google can tell you something about everyone. When I interviewed for my current position at UNH, I had looked at all of the LinkedIn profiles of the people I was interviewing with, and if they were academics, I had read some of their research so I could have a meaningful conversation with them. You should of course also research the organization. That's a given.

    I hope you had fun - it looked like you were mingling and doing fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Professor Bonica! Before going on an interview I always utilize Linkedin and arrive with a lot of notes and questions that I've prepared ahead of time. It doesn't necessarily ease all of my nerves, but it helps me not be as tongue tied.

    ReplyDelete